Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Meditation Challenge: Day 19

From a series of messages sent to our 30Day Meditation Challenge group. I sent this one just after midnight, June 20

We are nearly 2/3 of the way through this challenge. I myself have been finding this commitment to be...well...challenging to keep. I've meditated most days, but certainly not all. I've talked to a few of you who are also struggling. The important thing, of course, is to persevere. I do wonder if there is anyone out there who has managed to make it to the cushion every single day. Don't be shy; speak up and let us know! We could all use a little positive modeling, I think.

Lately I've been thinking about this: whenever I get to a place where I think I have some of the big things figured out--life, love, Right Livelihood, etc.--life comes along and provides me with a new challenge or two. (To be honest, it feels more like a smackdown, most of the time). Now, I know full well that the challenges are part of the journey, and perhaps the most important part. But still I find myself asking "Why? Why me, why now, when I'm trying so hard to live well?"

Here's a short, sweet answer for you, courtesy of Hildegard of Bingen, a cloistered Bavarian nun of the 12th century.

"Holy persons draw to themselves all that is earthly."

Yep. There's no point in making this journey unless you're ready to come back to earth and use what you have learned.

I leave you with one more quote from Hildegard:

"Where do we begin? Begin with the heart."

Amen, sister.
Talk to you soon!

--Both quotes from Meditations with Hildegard of Bingen, translated and illustrated by Gabriele Uhlein, OSF

No comments: