Monday, June 18, 2007

Meditation Challenge: Day 18

From a series of messages sent to the participants in our 30-Day Meditation Challenge. I sent this one today, June 18.

Can it really be Day 18? Well, yes, it is, though it is early yet, so for me it feels as if this is Day 17's entry. (As I did my usual late-night meditation last night, but decided to write to you this morning).

This was a weekend full of challenges, and I often found it difficult to make time for myself, my thoughts, my inner space, my meditation time. Suffice it to say that the weekend began with a wake and ended with a busted refrigerator, and you'll get an idea of how I'm feeling today. As I did my other Monday-morning work, I've been searching for a decent quote for you. I've been searching, believe it or not, since 8:30 a.m.

3 hours later, here is a little bit of inspiration that doesn't deal directly with meditation, but with the vicissitudes of life that our practice helps us to live through.

"Periods of darkness, times in the forest and the underworld, are times when we are in the cauldron, more aware than during ordinary times of the necessity and possibility of regeneration and healing, in the place of surrender and choice.

To be vulnerable and fallible, to have a shadow and a soul, to make our way through life determining who we become by the choices we make, is what we do here. Over and over again, it seems to me, life comes along and says, "Choose!"...These are the decisions that shape our lives, which ultimately are soul journeys."
--Jean Shinoda Bolen, Crossing to Avalon, 1994

Enjoy the journey.

No comments: