Monday, April 30, 2007

The Codex Panic

Ok, Ok. I've heard enough. My mailbox is besieged by near-hysterical, badly edited e-mails from one group, yet most of the groups I trust have been largely silent on the FDA ruling/Codex issue. I know many of you are concerned, mostly due to the aforesaid hysteria traveling quickly by way of Internet.

If you would like to read a well-reasoned, very fair assessment of the situation--including interviews with the FDA scientists, and a multitude of links to other opinions, visit John Weeks at the Integrator Blog.

If you want my take, well, take it with a grain of salt, and make up your own mind. (And this you should do for anyone's opinions, no matter how well-educated and how much you like--or dislike--them.) As far as I can tell, the ruling only states to clarify claims made about supplements & herbs on the same level as claims made for drugs. Put very simply (because this is the level on which it made sense to me): if I claim that the latest Tea-of-the-Week*** here at Stellaria cures cancer, then that tea falls into the category of a drug, and should only be dispensed/prescribed by those with the authority to do that. If I don't make that claim, then anyone can pour, enjoy, recommend the tea. Make sense?

The tea hasn't changed. The idea of who can "prescribe a drug" hasn't changed--and indeed, this is something that is regulated by the individual states, not by the FDA. For instance: I am licensed as a Naturopathic Physician by the State of Oregon. If I were practicing in Oregon, I could prescribe many things, including most common antibiotics. The State of Illinois, where I currently practice, does not license Naturopathic Physicians. Therefore, I may not "prescribe" anything; I make recommendations regarding commonly available food, herbs, and supplements. In this state I have no more access to regulated drugs than the average citizen. The drugs haven't changed, my training hasn't changed; but I work in a State with different laws. By the same token, though Washington and Arizona both license Naturopathic Physicians, there are drugs that Arizona NDs are allowed to prescribe that Washington NDs may not. (By the way, the drugs that a practitioner can work with are collectively known as the "formulary", and the formulary for each state is set by the governing board of the profession in that state. In Oregon, that's the Oregon Board of Naturopathic Examiners--you can read more about them here.)

So, back to the FDA ruling: if I claim that my Tea cures cancer, than under the terms of the ruling, I have claimed that this tea is a drug--and therefore access to it should be limited to trained and licensed practitioners. It is my hope that this ruling will stop certain people from making spurious and overblown claims for their products. It is important to remember that this ruling will not change your ability to enjoy good effects from any tea or herb on the market--it will prevent unscrupulous types from offering you medical miracles. (and if it does happen to cure your cancer, well, that would be a wonderful turn of events)

As John Weeks put it, "if the power of the FDA as described in this Guidance document makes you nervous, you had reason to be nervous already."


***By the way, the Tea of the Week is May Flowers, an aromatic and uplifting blend of Red Clover, Red Raspberry leaf, Nettles, Gingko, Gotu kola, Calendula, Chamomile, and Lavender. Come on by and have a cup! (It will not cure cancer, obesity, diabetes, or any prevailing social or physical ill. But it is lovely.)

No comments: